Wendt Ranch History

Location ~ Brand

Passing the Brand, Continuing the Legacy (click for news release)
Dan and Jane Wendt are pleased to announce the new owners
and managers of Wendt Ranch are Gene, Nancy, Daniel,
and Lauren Kubecka, who are continuing the family heritage
of four generations raising Santa Gertrudis cattle.

Santa Gertrudis cattle were first introduced to Wendt Ranch in 1954.  Dan Wendt and his father, R.A. Wendt, established Santa Gertrudis Breeders International (SGBI) Herd #621 in their partnership herd in Matagorda County, Texas.  After R. A. Wendt's death in 1969, the herd name was changed to Dan Wendt.  Wendt Ranch is owned and operated by Dan and Jane Wendt.

Dan Wendt had a commercial herd raising some F1s with purebred Brahmas and Herefords.  He started using a milking Shorthorn bull on Brahma cows in the early 1950s and liked that cross best.  When Dan and Jane went to the King Ranch sale in October 1953 and saw Santa Gertrudis for the first time, he knew that was the breed he wanted to raise.  He formed a partnership with his father, the R.A. Wendt & Son Herd 621 and concentrated on buying purebred Santa Gertrudis females and performance-tested Santa Gertrudis bulls.

Dan and Jane Wendt Dan and Jane Wendt
Dan Wendt and his wife, Jane, have continued to raise Santa Gertrudis, keeping thorough performance records since 1954.  Their brand can be seen nationwide as well as internationally, having sold Santa Gertrudis cattle in South Africa, Namibia, Morocco, Australia, Brazil, Paraguay, Honduras, Mexico, Canada, and Russia.

Gene Kubecka, Jenna Jane Kubecka, Jane and Dan Wendt
at the Brand Wall party in Kingsville.

Dan Wendt served as President of Santa Gertrudis Breeders International from 1987 to 1989.  Jane Wendt served from 2007 to 2009.  She was the first woman ever elected to serve as President of the Santa Gertrudis Breeders International organization.

Dan and Jane Wendt were honored in Fort Worth, Texas on January 15, 2012 by being selected into THE SANTA GERTRUDIS BREEDERS INTERNATIONAL HALL OF FAME.

We are proud to be a part of the Nu-Gen Project.
Click here for more information.

 
Location
Dan and Jane maintain 600 head of registered Santa Gertrudis in Matagorda County, Texas, at three separate locations.  Headquarters is 6 miles east of Bay City on FM 457.  This is approximately 80 miles from Houston Hobby Airport.  The Bay City Municipal Airport is across from the west side of the ranch on FM 2540.  Click here for more information.
 

The S Lazy S brand has been in our family 100 years and branded on Santa Gertrudis cattle for the last 54 years.  R.A. Wendt registered this brand in 1908 in Matagorda County in all the four ways turn it can be turned.  It has stayed in use by this family ever since.  In 1954 his son, Dan Wendt, branded his first Santa Gertrudis with the Lazy S over the S.  He concentrated not only on conformation and breed character but on performance and feed lot records to establish a strong, solid Santa Gertrudis herd.

Today, the other S Lazy S brands are being used by Dan and Jane Wendt's daughter and son-in-law, Nancy and Gene Kubecka, and continued by their children Daniel and Jenna Kubecka.  We are proud to have these distinctive brands permanently recognized on the brand Wall at the Santa Gertrudis Breeders International headquarters.

Dan, Gene, Jane and Jenna with their squares for the
SGBI Brand Wall showing the S Lazy S brand in all 4 possible ways.
Nu-Gen
SGBI
Mid Coast Santa Gertrudis Association
5475 FM 457, Bay City, Texas ~ FAX (979) 323-1212
Gene Kubecka (979) 240-5311 ~ Daniel Kubecka (979) 240-5312
Home | Ranch History | Cattle Sales | Junior Exhibitors | Photo Gallery | Nu-Gen Project
Contact | Links | Ranch Video
Copyright© 2006 - 2016, Wendt Ranch, All Rights Reserved